Sunday, May 12, 2013

Warsaw, The Uprising Museum (POL)


On my last full day in Warsaw, I visited The Uprising Museum.  Whenever I asked anyone what they would recommend to see in Warsaw, the universal answer was The Uprising Museum  Having now gone there, I can understand why.  It is a very moving experience.  The museum tells the story of underground Polish freedom fighters who fought the Nazis.  In a short period, July - October 1944, they fought tenaciously and took back control of most of Warsaw.  The resistance fighters were ultimately "defeated" when the troops of the Soviet Union entered to "liberate" Poland.  However, as we all know, another occupation of Poland began with their arrival.  After uplifting and rekindling the spirits and hopes of the Poles, the "uprising" ended, and a new battle had to be waged.


The symbol on the tower conveyed the message "Warsaw is fighting."


The names of those who perished during the Uprising are carved in marble along a very long wall of remembrance.  I was reminded of the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington, DC.


A wall with photos of Warsaw during the Uprising.










The caption on this photo read that the couple was married 13 days into the Uprising.  He is a wounded freedom fighter, and she is a nurse.  They currently live in the US.
Contemporary art was displayed on a wall opposite the photos of the Uprising.






After my visit to the museum, I once again strolled through Saxon Park, which I have referred to in an earlier posting.  The park is part of the complex of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.


















And so, with these photos, I end my postings from Europe.  My next posting will be from Asia.  I arrive in Istanbul tomorrow afternoon.  Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment