Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Istanbul - An Extraordinary City! (TUR)

The Suleymaniye Mosque

Istanbul is everything I anticipated it to me and more!  I have fallen in love with the city, and the Turks are among the most hospitable and friendly people I have ever encountered.  I arrived yesterday afternoon and encountered rush hour traffic, leading to and from the airport, like I have never experienced.  Fortunately, the taxi driver took all the back roads, but it still took an additional 20 minutes to get into the city.  It was a fascinating ride because I got to see parts of the city that I am sure are only known to the locals.  My hotel is in the heart of the old section of Istanbul, called Sultanahmet.  The Golden Horn [something to Google!] is just a few streets away.  I spent today doing what I usually do and walked for hours, but not before taking the tram over one of the bridges which spans the Golden Horn and visiting the Dolmabache Palace and Taksim Square, then returning by walking, including over the bridge.  I have more than 250 photos from today.  However, the WiFi here is very, very slow.  It took over 20 minutes to upload the one photo I have attached.  I will continue to take photos each day, but I will have to wait until New Delhi, India to see if I have a high speed WiFi connection to post photos.  I arrive in New Delhi on Sunday, so this may be my only posting from Turkey.  Stay tuned...

P.S. The number of mosques in Istanbul is probably equivalent to the number of churches in Rome.  They are everywhere!


No comments:

Post a Comment