Thursday, May 23, 2013

Singapore - A tropical paradise (SINGAPORE)


Greetings from beautiful Singapore!  I arrived early this morning after taking a midnight flight from New Delhi.  It was a 5 hour flight, and there is a 2 1/2 time difference.  I missed a night's sleep, so the first thing I did when I arrived was to take a nap.  The photo above was after a couple of hours of sleep.  As you can see, I had lunch poolside at a hotel on Orchard Road, which is the main shopping street in Singapore, its version of 5th Avenue.

It was a relief to leave the 110+ weather of India, as well as the dust and squalor of New Delhi.  It is much cooler here in Singapore, approximately 90 degrees.  The big difference is humidity.  It is like being in a perpetual steam room.  A/C is everywhere in use!  Another BIG difference from India is the cleanliness and obvious wealth of this city/country.  The economic prosperity is very evident.  It is a city on the move with construction projects of high risers all over.  And clean!  I have heard about it, and now have witnessed it, there is no litter anywhere!  Singapore really has the qualities of a tropical paradise.  Everyone I have met here has been super friendly!

After lunch, I took my usual walk about and snapped some photos.

Just so you know the area of the city I am in!


Americana is common on the streets of Singapore.


One of many indoor malls on Orchard Road.

Statue of a mythic warrior who is warding off demons from entering the Hilton!  Or, so says the inscription on the plaque below the statue.

Marriott Singapore Hotel




Future postings from Singapore will have a limited number of photos.  I am back in an environment with a very slow WiFi connection.  I hope I will be able to catch up on my photos of Istanbul and Greece before I return. By the way, speaking of returning, I now have less than one left month of my sabbatical.  I am on the home stretch!


No comments:

Post a Comment