Monday, May 6, 2013

Adieu to Vienna (POL)

At lunch in Vienna, and yes, that is apple strudel I am having for dessert! 
I should also write adieu to Warsaw.  I fly tomorrow to Lithuania, then fly back to Warsaw on Friday.  In the midst of my frenetic pace, I keep posting away.  I will undoubtedly get in sync with my travels, but in the meantime I am attaching photos from my last day of
sightseeing in Vienna.


A window display at one of the oldest cafes in Vienna.
This wing of the Hofburg was built to accommodate guests of the Emperor to the Imperial Court.  It now houses several museums, including a museum of the ruins of Ephesus and the world's largest collection of armor...








One of the main paintings which line the walls of the hallways.


This hallway connects the Ephesus collection with the museum rooms of the collection of armor.


They look pretty real, don't they?





Parliament of Austria


Vienna Town Hall





Tulips are in all the parks of Vienna....  (Does this photo look like something painted by Claude Monet?)

as are the lilacs of purple, deep purple, and white.




The spires of Votivkirche, which was built near the site of the assassination attempt on the life of Emperor Franz Joseph to thank God it was not successful.


One of the windows of Votivkirche.


University of Vienna, near the Town Hall.






A section of the facade of the Minoritenplatz Palace.





Inside the Minoritenkirche (a church fgounded by Franciscan Minors in 1224) a mosaic of the Last Supper, commissioned by Napoleon Bonaparte, when he intended to remove the original painting of daVinci in Milan to take to Paris and replace it with the mosaic.  It never happened!  And, the mosaic is about 5 times the size of the painting!


Minoritenkirche.









Portrait of Kaiserin Elisabeth (in the lobby of the hotel I stayed at).


It is now time for Leo and me to hit the hay....it is close to midnight in Warsaw!
The next posting will include photos from Munich, then Warsaw, then.... ( I will be in sync with my travels in no

time!).


No comments:

Post a Comment