Thursday, April 25, 2013

Greetings from Munich (GER)

Central Train Station, Munich

I arrived in Munich in the early afternoon after a very comfortable flight on Lufthansa from Rome.  It was a very clear day, which made flying over the Alps once again a breath-taking experience.  I then took the train at the airport directly to the center of Munich.  It was very convenient and inexpensive.  I am in Munich only for the night.  I have an early morning train to Budapest. I am looking forward to the long ride (approximately 7 hours) to enjoy the countryside of Germany, Austria, and Hungary.  I have a dinner engagement tomorrow night with the cousin of my dear friend, Esther Howe.  I will give you a full report of my travels and first authentic Hungarian meal.  The closest I ever came to the real thing was many years ago in the now closed, but at the time very popular, Cafe Budapest in the Back Bay of Boston.  Now it will be the real McCoy at a cafe in Budapest!



At the streetcar stop in front of the train station.



An entrance to the subway at Karlsplatz.

As you can see from the attached photos, after settling in at the hotel near the train station, I took a short walk.  I eventually stopped for a cup of coffee at a sidewalk cafe (next photo), then before going to dinner stopped for a glass of wine at another hotel near the train station (last photo).




No comments:

Post a Comment