Thursday, March 28, 2013

Chrism Mass with the Pope (The Vatican)



I have just returned from the Chrism Mass at St. Peter's Basilica.  What an amazing experience!  It is hard to believe that there was a priest in Rome who was not at the Holy Mass.  There were thousands of priests in the basilica to concelebrate the Chrism Mass.  It is the only time "ordinary" priests are invited to concelebrate Mass with the Pope inside the basilica.  It is also the Mass at which priests renew the promises they made at their ordination.  It was thrilling to be there and concelebrate with thousands of other priests from all over the world.  

As you will see in the attached photos, I was fortunate to have a seat at the end of the row, not far from the main altar of the basilica.  Pope Francis I was so close, I could have touched him as he processed both in  and out of the basilica.  The first attached photo is of the Pope entering, and the second is at the end of Mass as he is processing out.  This time I was smart enough to bring my IPhone to take photos since you are really not supposed to be taking photos, but there were a lot of IPhones being used by many of the priests who, like me, were taking photos of the Mass.

Many of the priests who were processing in at the beginning of Mass.  I was already seated.


You can see the Press Corps on the right side behind the draped area.

The acolytes who were leading the procession into the basilica.
Some of the cardinals.
Pope Francis I (same photo as above).

The Pope is preaching from the main altar.

The deacons are bringing in the Holy Oils to be blessed by the Pope.
A deacon carrying the perfume to be added to the oil of Holy Chrism.


The procession at the end of the Chrism Mass.
The deacons bringing the oils to the back of the basilica at the end of the Holy Mass.




Pope Francis I
The Swiss Guards follow behind the Pope.

The priests waiting to process out.  Since I was at the end of the row in the last of the rows for priests in the main nave, I was immediately behind the Swiss Guards in the procession.

It is now mid-day.  The Holy Thursday liturgy is later this evening.  I will be attending the Mass at the Venerable English College which is renowned in Rome for its liturgies, plus everything is in English!  Otherwise, the Masses in St. Peter's Basilica are, as you might suspect, are in Latin and Italian.

I have not forgotten that I mentioned yesterday I would post the photos I took yesterday at the Jesuit Curia.  If they are not posted today, they will be posted on tomorrow's blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment