Monday, January 14, 2013

Sacred to Secular - From Church to Palace (London, UK)

[Written yesterday, and posted today.  My battery needed to be recharged.]  

I cannot remember the last time I was at a Mass which was entirely in Latin.  It brought back memories of the "good ole days," and, if truth be told, I was surprised to find myself actually enjoying it.    The music was so good, it was like attending a concert.  The presider was a Jesuit who studied at Boston College 10 years ago.  For those of you who do not know, there is a Jesuit church, Immaculate Conception, which is on Farm Street in the Mayfair section of London.  After Mass I did some sightseeing, as you will see from the attached pictures.  I got as far as Buckingham Palace.  I knocked on the front door, but the queen is still away on her Christmas holiday.  And finally, later this evening I am going to The Ledbury Restaurant, thanks to a gift certificate given to me by my former treasurer/assistant treasurer colleagues at the last meeting of the group I attended.  Michelin has awarded The Ledbury with a 2 star rating!  Bon appetite to me!
Side church entrance on Mount Street

Alas, no nightingale was to be found in Berkeley Square.
U.S. Embassy
Buckingham Palace
St. James Park with London Eye in the background
Elizabeth II and her father, George VI
Trafalgar Square
The National Gallery
St. Martin-in-the-Fields
Frozen in time!

Mr. Beau Brummell, of course!
The adventure continues...


No comments:

Post a Comment